Plot & Details
Harvard University graduate Alek Keshishian directed this tale about a homeless man who teaches some snotty Harvard students a thing or two about real life. Monty (Brendan Fraser) is a self-absorbed graduate student who is obsessed with finishing his thesis on government so that he can satisfy his demanding teacher, Professor Pitkannan (Gore Vidal). When Monty loses his precious thesis in the basement of the library's heating plant, it is found by a homeless man living there, Simon (Joe Pesci). Simon agrees to return the thesis one page at a time in return for certain favors. The relationship with the bearded vagabond changes Monty's view of life, and it also affects his housemates, who include Everett (Patrick Dempsey), a wisecracking radio host; Courtney (Moira Kelly), who is immature and sex-obsessed; and the studious nerd Jeff (Josh Hamilton). Simon becomes something of a father figure to Monty, argues history with Professor Pitkannan, and provides an earthy balance to the overly academic viewpoint of the students.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 100min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 05/01/1994
- DVD Release Date: 05/18/1999
- Director(s): Alek Keshishian
- Starring: Joe Pesci , Brendan Fraser , Moira Kelly , Patrick Dempsey , Josh Hamilton
- Themes: College Life,Unlikely Friendships
- Tone: Autumnal,Bittersweet,Humorous,Sentimental
- Keywords: blackmail,class [social],class-consciousness,friendship,life-choices,student,terminal-illness,thesis,university
- Language: English