Plot & Details
Cinematographer-turned-documentary filmmaker Patrick Creadon takes a compelling look at the brainy world of crossword puzzles, the masterminds that conceive them, and the folks who struggle to solve them in a film that offers a close look at one of America's most popular pastimes. For 12 years, the name Will Shortz has been indelibly linked to the wildly popular New York Times crossword puzzle. As filmmakers speak with Shortz and the puzzle constructors with whom he collaborates, viewers are treated to a rare look into the minds of the people whose intellect entertains a nation of puzzle-solvers on a weekly basis. Interviews with a variety of celebrity crossword-puzzle enthusiasts including Bob Dole, Ken Burns, and Jon Stewart are also included, and a trip to the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament -- an annual event founded by Shortz himself -- offers an entertaining look at a world where the brain power and colorful personalities of contestants combine to create a lively atmosphere of friendly competition.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Documentary
- Run Time: 94min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 06/16/2006
- DVD Release Date: 11/07/2006
- Distributor(s): IFC
- Director(s): Patrick Creadon
- Starring: Will Shortz , Merl Reagle , Jon Stewart , Ken Burns , Indigo Girls
- Tone: Easygoing,Quirky,Upbeat
- Keywords: brainteasers [puzzles],competition,puzzle,tournament
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (06-16-2006)
- Language: English