Plot & Details
Following up on his acclaimed debut The Myth of Fingerprints, Bart Freundlich spins this drama that poses the question "what would it be like to run away from your life?" The film centers on a restless thirtysomething New Yorker named Cal (Billy Crudup) who one day drives off into the open road, leaving his wife and infant son behind. A series of flashbacks describe Cal's domestic malaise and disillusionment with his life. On the road, Cal encounters a number of unusual characters who are similarly tethered and drifting. One is named Dulcie (Julianne Moore), an emotionally fragile woman looking for her lost son. Through his interaction with Dulcie, Cal reflects on his own family and soon finds himself heading to his boyhood home where his father lives. This film was screened at the 2001 Toronto Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 104min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/19/2002
- DVD Release Date: 01/21/2003
- Distributor(s): ThinkFilm
- Director(s): Bart Freundlich
- Starring: Billy Crudup , Julianne Moore , Cleavant Derricks , David Keith , James LeGros
- Themes: Obsessive Quests,Wanderlust,Fathers and Sons,Journey of Self-Discovery,Midlife Crises
- Tone: Atmospheric,Reflective,Talky,Bittersweet,Easygoing,Quirky,Intimate,Moody
- Keywords: disillusionment,father,mid-life-crisis,missing-person,son,starting-over
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-19-2002)
- Language: English