Plot & Details
Rob Lowe stars as the title character, a young hockey prodigy with a gift for scoring, but no such penchant for pugilism -- when the gloves drop, so does he. Despite his fragility, Coach Chadwick (Ed Lauter) takes him on the roster for his stick-handling ability alone. However, he ends up being sent home after being singled out by a particularly nasty goon, Racki (George Finn), who pummels the "pretty boy" in brutal fashion. Disheartened, Youngblood heads back to the rural Canadian farm he calls home, where his father (Eric Nesterenko, a former player for the Chicago Blackhawks) and older brother (Jim Youngs) teach him the invaluable lesson that hockey is "no place for a nervous person" (to quote a famous NHL announcer). Overseen by his elders, he immediately begins a combat-training regimen to prepare for his return and imminent showdown with the evil Racki; meanwhile, he strikes up a relationship with the coach's daughter (Cynthia Gibb).
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 111min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 01/16/2005
- DVD Release Date: 05/22/2001
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): United Artists
- Director(s): Peter Markle
- Starring: Rob Lowe , Cynthia Gibb , Patrick Swayze , Ed Lauter , Jim Youngs
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Underdogs,Redemption,Starting Over,Fathers and Sons,Small-Town Life,Hockey Players
- Tone: Earnest,Racy,Rousing,Sentimental,Slick
- Keywords: champion, hockey, skating, team, youth, coming-of-age, love, one-against-odds, romance, sports, teenagers
- Country of Origin: USA (01-31-1986)
- Language: English