Plot & Details
A resident of 23rd-century Earth becomes involved in a revolution after discovering the hidden truth about society's rulers in director John Boorman's sci-fi drama. Sean Connery plays Zed, the central rebel, who begins the film as a member of the Exterminators, a band of skilled assassins who exact a reign of terror over the lesser Brutals. The Exterminators answer only to their god, a gigantic stone image known as Zardoz. Haunted by doubt about Zardoz's true divinity, Zed chooses to investigate. His disbelief is confirmed when the god proves to be a fraudulent tool of the Eternals, a secret society of brilliant immortals who pretend to divinity in order to exploit the masses. Knowing the truth, Zed sets out to reveal the hoax and destroy the Eternals' unjust rule.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Fantasy,Science Fiction
- Run Time: 110min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/01/2001
- DVD Release Date: 03/27/2001
- Distributor(s): Independent Artists
- Director(s): John Boorman
- Starring: Sean Connery , Charlotte Rampling , Sara Kestelman , John Alderton , Sally Anne Newton
- Themes: Future Barbarians,Culture Clash,Fighting the System,Immortality,Future Dystopias
- Tone: Cerebral,Forceful,Hallucinatory,Tense,Whimsical,Fanciful
- Keywords: Utopia,computers,cult,escape,eternal-life,future,immortality,intelligent,invasion,primitive,rampage,science-runs-amok,scientist,slavery,survivor,technology
- Language: English