Plot & Details
This audaciously disgusting spectacle from the late master of gruesome horror, Lucio Fulci, was posited as a semi-sequel to George Romero's Dawn of the Dead, which was released in Italy as Zombi. Tisa Farrow and a group of vacationing tourists travel to an island where they find a doctor (Richard Johnson) who is attempting to cure a condition that reanimates the dead. Things quickly get out of control as undead Spanish conquistadors crawl from their graves hungry for human flesh. The nauseatingly graphic set-pieces by Gianetto de Rossi include a close-up of a woman's eye being pierced by a large shard of wood and a zombie fighting a Great White shark underwater. This relatively well-made shocker was enormously popular worldwide and led to the zombie-gore film becoming the dominant motif of 1980s Italian horror.
- MPAA Rating: Not Rated
- Genre(s): Horror,Thriller
- Run Time: 128min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/18/2000
- DVD Release Date: 08/25/1998
- Distributor(s): Phaedra
- Director(s): Lucio Fulci
- Starring: Tisa Farrow , Ian McCullough , Richard Johnson , Al Cliver , Arnette Gay
- Themes: Experiments Gone Awry,Voodoo,Zombies
- Tone: Atmospheric,Disturbing,Harsh,Gruesome,Creepy,Tense
- Keywords: flesh-eating, investigator, island, killing, scientist, voodoo, investigation, journalism, missing-person, murder, zombie
- Country of Origin: Italy (08-25-1979)
- Language: Italian