Weinstein Brothers Go Transamerica: Variety in 60 Seconds
- The Weinstein Brothers have acquired Tribeca hit Transamerica, starring Felicity Hufffman as "a persnickity, preoperative transsexual." Let's hear it for the word "persnickity".
- Take that, Waxman - "Despite a steady drumbeat of dour diagnoses ... business has been surprisingly healthy so far this year."
- Toshiba is developing a system to glue regular DVDs on the back of HD-DVDs.
- The Independent Film Channel is launching a batch of new programming, including an animated project from Bob Balaban and a "Christopher Guest-style" parody of an indie film studio.
- A great big Paul Weitz reunion is under way at Universal, with Hugh Grant, Chris Klein and Dennis Quaid in talks to re-team with tthe director for his next film, American Dreamz.
- Jon Woo and StudioCanal will produce a raft of remakes of French thrillers.