- Todd McCarthy says Bill Murray "gives a lesson in minimalist acting" in Jim Jarmusch's Broken Flowers, "a droll account of an aging bachelor's hesitant hunt for a son he may have fathered years before."
- Sherry, Niles? Kelsey Grammer has been cast as the mutant Beast in Matthew Vaughn's X-Men 3. Beast is "the most intelligent of the mutants, a pacifist Ph.D. and genetic researcher named Hank McCoy," and producer Avi Arad says, "Kelsey was born to play the role."
- John Carpenter will develop Psychopath, the story of an ex-CIA operative who has to vome back to the agency to stop a serial killer, "concurrently as a videogame and film." He'll seek a game publisher this week at E3.
- Johnny Depp will reprise the role of Hunter S. Thompson in The Rum Diary, to be adapted and directed by Bruce Robinson of Withnail and I fame.
- When Army Archerd doesn't feel like tracking down dinosaurs at charity events, Variety publishes "vintage" columns from their "archives". This one is from 1956.