- Appian Way, Leonardo DiCaprio's production company will develop and produce a feature adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, to be written by the father-son duo Jake and James V. Hart. It's unclear whether or not the star will star.
- Off-screen buzz has actually helped the summer's biggest films build grosses, as proven by Mr. and Mrs. Smith's continually smashing international gross.
- "Pundits are already predicting" that Steven Speilberg's Munich Olympics film will outshine War of the Worlds as an Oscar contender - "even though it's only finished a few days of principal photography."
- AMPAS has invited 91 countries to submit films to the Best Foreign Language Film category for the 2005 Oscars. Applications are due in October.
- In somewhat surprising news, London has been selected as the home for the 2012 Olympic games. No, I don't know why Variety is reporting on this, either.