- In 1970, Marlon Brando hooked up with Donald Cammel, the co-director of Performance, to turn a film treatment into a novel. Fan-Tan has recently been rediscovered. "Like Brando at the time he wrote it, [the hero] is overweight, mischievous, sensual and attracted to Asian women." And Sonny Mehta loves it.
- Claude Chabrol's Betty "lingers in the imagination for a long time with its dreamy, deliberate pacing, end-of-the-world atmosphere and haunting metaphorical images, including the world's most ominous fish tank." Dave Kehr does his weekly DVD roundup.
- George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luckwill open the New York Film Festival.
- Royston Tan: somewhere between Kryzsztof Kieslowski and Hype Williams.
- "One Internet site full of our supporters raised money to buy eggs to feed people at the midnight screening." Mark Russell investigates the long road towards Korean film festival RealFanta.