Here are a few reasons that the 2006 Independent Spirit Awards rocked:
- A song about each best feature nominee, including one sung by Macy Gray with the backing of an all-Capote band.
- Casual dress, including lots of nice, broken-in jeans, and refreshingly less made-up ladies.
- Swearing. Lots and lots of swearing.
- Shockingly frequent mentions of brilliant, largely overlooked films like The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada and The Squid and the Whale.
- Garrett Scott's Occupation: Dreamland won, which resulted in a classy, sad speech by co-director
- All the same goddamn movies and people won:
Mountain, Ang Lee, Philip Seymour Hoffman (whose speech, about how much fun he's had
hanging out with his fellow nominees over the course of the awards season, was pretty darn wonderful), yadda yadda
usual suspects cakes. It was like watching a drunker, less formal Oscars, about 36 hours early.