A few weeks ago (early on a Saturday morning, to be precise -- what's that about?), Fox Searchlight brought together five rooms full of journalists and the stars and writer-director of Trust the Man for a few hours of friendly grilling about the film, which opens this Friday (Kim's review will go up soon). Each star -- David Duchovny, Julianne Moore, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Billy Crudup -- as well as writer-director Bart Freundlich (AKA Mr. Julianne Moore) came into the rooms separately, and spent about 20 minutes taking questions. What follows are the five most thrilling tidbits from each person's stint in my room.
- Is really, really, really tiny. Like, porcelain doll tiny.
- Likes to be left alone on movie sets; working with her husband makes that easy because he knows not to bug her when she's busy trying to act.
- The thing in the movie about the retainer in bed? Straight out of the Moore-Freundlich bedroom. Yes, Julianne Moore sleeps with a retainer -- even she isn't perfect.
- Their kids (four and eight) get to travel with them to cool locations when possible, but haven't seen any of her movies. Which is good, because everything Jurassic Park is way too scary for anybody younger than, like, 25.
- When Gyllenhaal was nervous about the rest of the cast being so close, Moore said "Don't worry. Everybody's an asshole." And then everything was fine.