Before I begin, I must say that I am not the biggest Transformers fan in the entire universe. However, since Mark, our resident geek, is off enjoying a splendid honeymoon, it is my job to report back any and all geek-related goodies. So, onto the webcast (which featured the film's writers, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci) :
- Webcast opens with Transformers teaser trailer.
- Here is a list of all Transformers robots being featured in next summer's blockbuster film (keep in mind, some of these we already knew about): Autobots: Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Jazz, Ratchet (Medical officer, will not be in the form of an ambulance) and Ironhide.
- Decepticons (will not all be flying machines): Megatron, Starscream, Brawl, Bonecrusher, Barracade, Scorponok, Frenzy (started out as Soundwave, till they decided to change the character. Stealth spy) and Blackout (guy who comes in and takes out all of our abilities to fight back).
- On why some characters will not come in their classic versions (ie: Bumblebee): "Clothes don't make the man." According to the writers, regardless of what these characters are wearing, you will still be able to connect with them. Basically, all vehicle transformations were made once they started testing. They wanted the live-action to look cool and believable. Unlike the cartoon, this needed to look real. Also, some of the vehicles in the 80's (ie: Camaro) aren't as cool in 2006 as they were back then.
- Not just a guy movie, there will also be women kicking ass. Sweet!
- Dynamic between Megatron and Starscream will be alive and present. They will be as you remember them.
- On why the Decepticons outnumber the Autobots: They wanted the Autobots to be at a severe disadvantage so they really have to band together and use all their strength in order to defeat the Decepticons.
- Always on the message boards. Always looking for fan input.
- Voices are a work in progress. Everyone you want to be considered is being considered.
- Setting up a lot of threads in the hopes there will be a sequel. Hopefully, some of the characters missing here will show up in future installments.
- Contest Announcement (check the film's official website for details in the coming days): Write a line for Optimus Prime and the winning line gets put in the movie. (Hmm, borrowing from Snakes on a Plane are we?)
Okay, that's pretty much it. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section.