If you want your geek movie to do well, there are a handful of major stars it would be very much in your best interest to cast. Kevin Munroe, director of the upcoming cinematic revamp of theTeenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, is of course quite aware of this fact, and like all good CGI film directors, he's out to fill his flick with major Hollywood stars as voice talent -- but voice talent, it seems, with a geeked-up background. Here's the run-down on what we've learned this week:
- Patrick Stewart. Geek credentials -- Living legend. Captain Picard of Trek fame, and Professor X of X-Men fame. They don't come bigger than this dude in the geek world. Stewart will be Max Winters, a "tech industrialist who is amassing an army of monsters in the city."
- Sarah Michelle Gellar. Geek credentials -- television geek queen, as the star of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Gellar is the voice of April, who is a "researcher" in this film, instead of a news host. She's also the resident den mother for the turtle boys.
- Chris Evans. Geek credentials -- just building the resume, but off to a very strong start as the Human Torch from Fantastic Four. Evans is Casey Jones, the crazy guy with the hockey stick.
- Kevin Smith. Geek credentials -- creator of Jay and Silent Bob, and high-profile comic book fan. Smith's just got himself a small part as a small time chef.
- Zhang Ziyi. Geek credentials -- all sorts of wire-fu, including House of Flying Daggersand Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Ziyi provides the voice for lead villain Karai, leader of an army of Foot Ninjas.