It's a new year, a new summer and the studios are gearing up to present us with a fresh crop of blockbusters. Last year at this time, I wrote up a Monday Morning Poll asking you which Summer 2006 film would make the most money at the box office. Ultimately, I went with The Da Vinci Code over Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest-- a rookie mistake, I know, but something in me felt pretty confident. But now I'm back -- a whole year has gone by -- and it's about time for those predictions. So, lets take a look at some of the top contenders (in the order of how I think they'll finish at the box office when it's all said and done):
- Spider-Man 3 -- In this third installment, Peter Parker finally realizes that, as a superhero who constantly saves New York City, he should definitely be able to land someone better looking than Kirsten Dunst. Lots of villains and lots of mind-blowing special effects --coupled with the fact that this could be the last Spidey go-round for Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst and Sam Raimi -- should be enough for this web slinger to swing into the summer's top spot.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End -- Though the second Pirates flick went ballistic at the box office last summer, a lot of folks walked away with lukewarm feelings toward the sequel. And while I'm confident a truckload of peeps will show up to see how Disney and director Gore Verbinski wrap up the trilogy, I'm not quite sure it will have what it takes to knock Spidey out of the top spot. There's no doubt in my mind that these flicks will finish one and two at the box office, but it really is a toss-up. Tough call right here; something tells me it will come down to the foreign totals.
- Shrek the Third -- The only reason why I think Shrek will beat out Ratatouille this summer is because it's been a couple years since his last adventure and, well, fans are a bit hungrier for the green ogre. And hey, Justin Timberlake is in it! Do I even need to give you any more reasons?
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix -- Seeing as the seventh and final Potter book will arrive in bookstores one week after Order of the Phoenix hits theaters, I'm pretty sure the entire world will be Potter crazy for those few weeks in July. With nothing that substantial (Bourne, Rush Hour 3 being the exceptions) arriving after Potter, the little wizard should have plenty of time to catch up to the three films mentioned above, and could potentially steal the third spot from Shrek.
- Ratatouille -- As unfortunate as it is to write, I cannot see Pixar (and their confusing title) beating out any of the films mentioned above. Yes, it's Pixar. And yes, it's Brad Bird. But the competition this year is the greatest it's been in quite some time. Though I'm sure the film will be just as entertaining as the rest, it will take a miracle for that rat to climb out of the sewer on top.
So, after reading my predictions, what do you think? Which film will take home the most money at the box office this summer?