We don't post many commercials on Cinematical unless there's a clear film connection, but this one is pretty damn cool and monumental in terms of effects work. It was created by Toshiba, it's being billed as the world's first "timesculpture" advertisement and it shows an evolution of the "bullet time" technique made famous by The Matrix. Here are a few other fun facts, courtesy of red6hosting:
- The TV ad was shot using 200 Toshiba Gigashot Cameras: the highest number of moving image cameras ever used in a film sequence
- This particular technique, viewing looping action in 360 degrees, has never been done before
- The time spent processing footage from 200 cameras was over four weeks - 24 hours a day seven days a week!
- In terms of data, this is one of the biggest jobs a post-production house has ever taken on - 20TB of data
- New offline and online editing software had to be specifically built for the job
- Soundtrack is provided by Crystal Castles
- Integrated campaign to promote Toshiba's new range of upscaling products – TV, DVD and laptops - that convert standard definition TV and DVD images to near high-definition quality