CARL COURT/AFP/Getty Images
"Mad Max: Fury Road," the long-gestating fourth installment of the apocalyptic action franchise, gained some steam last month when it received an official release date. Director George Miller is keeping positive about the project, revealing new details about the shoot and audience testing, and denying one major rumor about a certain Australian actor's cameo.
In an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, Miller discussed shooting what he called "bookend" scenes for "Fury Road," including one finished just last month involving a huge truck crash. Miller acknowledged that he'd spent a "crazy" amount of time on the production -- which was conceived in the early 2000s but was delayed first by 9/11, then by a series of weather disasters -- and that the long shoot (which began in July 2012) was necessary because "Fury Road" is "a really difficult movie" with "pretty constant action [on-screen]."
But Miller insisted that despite the drawn-out process, he was not filming any reshoots, and that so far, footage screened for test audiences has been well-received.
"Our film, luckily after a ridiculous amount of work, is testing extremely well,'' Miller told the Herald. ''We're very happy. There has been a lot of doubt about it, [people saying] 'it took so long,' but Warners have delayed it until 2015 to go into the top weekend of the year."
Unfortunately, despite rumors that Mel Gibson would make an appearance in "Fury Road," Miller said that the original face of the "Mad Max" franchise won't cameo after all.
"It would have been nice somehow but, no, it's not true," he told the paper.
"Mad Max: Fury Road" stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. It hits theaters May 15, 2015.
[via Sydney Morning Herald h/t The Playlist]