This weekend, Mark Wahlberg and Taylor Kitsch take on the Taliban in "Lone Survivor," Hercules's origins get a reboot in "The Legend of Hercules," and tensions grow between Meryl Streep and the rest of her dysfunctional family in "August: Osage County."
"Lone Survivor" stars Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Ben Foster, and Emile Hirsch as members of SEAL Team 10, who are tasked to bring down Taliban leader, Ahmad Shahd. Based on the 2005 mission "Operation Red Wings," the covert assignment soon gets comprised and the SEALs are ambushed by enemy forces in Afghanistan. Directed by Peter Berg, the film examines the courage and heroism of the brothers in arms.
"The Legend of Hercules" tells the epic story of Hercules's origins and stars Kellan Lutz as the mythical Greek hero -- the son of Zeus, a half-god-half-man gifted with extraordinary strength. In this version of the story, Hercules is betrayed by his stepfather, the King, because of a forbidden love and must fight his way back to his rightful place in the kingdom.
Originally a Tony award- and Pulitzer Prize-winning Broadway play, "August: Osage County" has been given the Hollywood makeover. Starring Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, and Chris Cooper, the black dramedy portrays a dysfunctional family pulled back to their Oklahoma home by a family crisis. Tensions grow and secrets slowly unravel. Already playing in select theaters, the film goes wide this Friday.
Also, in theaters this weekend:
- "Black Coffee" tells the story of a recently fired man who suddenly meets his soul mate. Just as things begin to heat up, the couple's ex-lovers return to their lives.
- In "Banshee Chapter," a young journalist -- helped by a counter-culture writer (Ted Levine) -- searches for her missing friend, only to come face-to-face with secret and disturbing government research.
- "The Truth About Emanuel" stars Kaya Scodelario ("Skins"), as a troubled young girl who becomes obsessed with her mysterious neighbor (Jessica Biel), a woman who bears a striking resemblance to the girl's deceased mother.
- "If You Build It" is a documentary that follows two designer-activists, who work with local high school kids to help turn their impoverished community and their lives around.
- Starring Michael Sheen and Lena Headey, "The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box" follows seventeen-year-old Mariah as she tries to save her family against supernatural forces.
What are you most excited to see this weekend?
categories Weekend Movie Preview