Marvel fans were shocked yesterday when Michael Douglas was cast as original Ant-Man Hank Pym in Edgar Wright's upcoming comic book flick. Now, the Oscar-winning actor is speaking out about his surprising choice to join a superhero film, and what he's looking forward to about the "Ant-Man" experience.
Valerie Macon/Getty Images
"I've been dying to do a Marvel picture for so long," Douglas said in an interview with Reuters. "The script is really fun, the director is really good. Dylan (Douglas's 13-year-old son) will love it. He'll have a picture he can see."
Variety reported Monday that Douglas had been courted for the part of Pym for some time, and had initially resisted joining the movie, only to have a recent change of heart. Douglas told Reuters that his seemingly out-of-character decision to play a superhero fits in with his recent risk-taking career moves, including his Golden Globe-winning portrayal of flamboyant pianist Liberace in HBO biopic "Behind the Candelabra." It's all part of keeping audiences and studios on their toes, the actor explained.
"Sometimes -- like (when) they didn't see you for Liberace -- you've got to shake them up a little bit and have some fun," Douglas added.
Douglas joins the previously-cast Paul Rudd, who'll play latter-day Ant-Man Scott Lang, a man who steals Pym's technology and assumes his identity, eventually becoming a hero himself. But even that much of the plot has yet to be confirmed by Marvel, so it's unclear what direction the film will take -- and what that means for Douglas's character in future installments of the hopeful franchise. Douglas told Reuters he wasn't too concerned.
"[T]here are sequels," he said. "Who knows?"
"Ant-Man" is slated for a July 31, 2015 release.
[h/t Screen Rant]