A galaxy far, far away is still looking for a hero to wield a lightsaber against the forces of evil.
It might be one of the five actors that Variety reports is up for the lead role in "Star Wars: Episode VII." They are:
- Ed Speleers (Jimmy from "Downton Abbey")
- John Boyega ("Attack the Block")
- Jesse Plemons ("Friday Night Lights," "Breaking Bad")
- Matthew James Thomas (Broadway's "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark")
- Ray Fisher (the New York production of "Fetch Clay, Make Man")
Sources tell Variety they're at the top of the very long list that director J.J. Abrams has made to find his lead actors. It seems like he's met nearly every young actor and actress in all corners of the business to discuss the highly-anticipated follow-up to "Return of the Jedi."
The lead role is said to be that of a Jedi apprentice, possibly an offspring of either Luke or Leia. Then again, Abrams has said he wants a more diverse cast, which is why Michael B. Jordan tested early on.
And while the director is still searching for his hero, unconfirmed reports indicate that he's found his villain -- "Girls" star Adam Driver.
With filming due to get underway in a few months, Abrams will need to make his decision soon. Use the Force, J.J., use the Force.
Photo by Ben Pruchnie/Getty Images