This weekend, Shailene Woodley is caught in a dangerous plot and fights for her life in "Divergent," The Muppets find themselves smack-dab in the middle of an international jewel-heist in "Muppets Most Wanted," and many more come to theaters in limited release.
The sci-fi action film "Divergent" stars Shailene Woodley as Tris, a young woman who learns she's Divergent and, therefore, doesn't fit into future Chicago. Set in a world divided into sects (or "factions") based on personality traits, the book-turned-movie follows Tris and the mysterious Four as they discover a plot to destroy Divergents and set out to uncover the truth. Directed by Neil Burger, the movie also stars Kate Winslet, Theo James, Miles Teller, and Ashley Judd.
In their latest adventure, the Muppets embark on a grand world tour only to find that they are actually involved in a European jewel-heist after Kermit the Frog's evil look-alike, Constantine, swaps places with the legendary frog. Directed by James Bobin, "Muppets Most Wanted" stars Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais, and Ty Burrell -- and the Muppets, of course.
Also in theaters this weekend:
- The latest controversial movie from Lars von Trier, "Nymphomaniac: Vol. I" follows a self-diagnosed nymphomaniac who recounts her experiences to her rescuer after a beating.
- "Jodorowsky's Dune" tells the story of cult film director Alejandro Jodorowsky's highly ambitious (but doomed) film adaptation of the seminal sci-fi novel that subsequently inspired other acclaimed sci-fi filmmakers.
- "Rob the Mob" stars Michael Pitt and Andy Garcia in a tale of a young couple that finds themselves the target of both the mob and the FBI after robbing the mafia and stumbling upon a huge score.
- "Stay" stars Taylor Schilling and Aidan Quinn as a couple struggling to reconcile following the woman's unexpected pregnancy.
- In "Falcon Song," a guitar-playing drifter helps a rancher's granddaughter find her true calling in the midst of a land war and many strange happenings in town.
- "50 to 1" tells the true story of a misfit group of New Mexico cowboys and their crooked-footed racehorse that qualifies for the Kentucky Derby.
categories Weekend Movie Preview