Cameron Diaz has been hard to miss ever since her break-out role, twenty years ago, in "The Mask."
Since then, Diaz has starred in both dramatic and comedic hits, such as "Gangs of New York" (2002) and "There's Something About Mary" (1998), and cemented herself as one of Hollywood's top leading ladies. Her versatility has helped her remain on the A-list so many years later, and, this summer, you can find her in "The Other Woman" and "Sex Tape."
From her early work for Coca-Cola to her weird connection to Snoop Dogg, here are 23 things you probably don't know about Cameron Diaz.
1. Diaz was born in San Diego, California to Billie Joann, an import-export agent, and Emilio Luis Diaz, a field gauger for an oil company.
2. She has Anglo-German and Cherokee ancestry on her mother's side, while she has Cuban ancestry on her father's side.
3. Diaz is proud of her Latin roots and claims she brings that part of her to every role she plays. She admits, however, that her blonde hair and blue eyes tend to make people question her Hispanic heritage.
4. Before turning to acting, Diaz was a model for Elite Model Management and appeared in commercials for Nivea, L.A. Gear, and Coca-Cola.
5. When she was 17 years old, Diaz also appeared on the cover of Seventeen magazine (July, 1990).
6. To model around the globe under contract for companies such as Calvin Klein and Levi's, Diaz left home at 16. Over the next five years, her international tour included Japan, Australia, Mexico, Morocco, and Paris before settling back in California.
7. After returning to California, Diaz's agency secured her an audition for "The Mask" (1994) -- despite her having no acting experience. After an amazing 12 call backs, she eventually landed the part.
8. Co-starring opposite Jim Carrey in comedy hit "The Mask" successfully launched Diaz's acting career, and she hasn't looked back.
9. In 2003, she became the second actress -- after Julia Roberts -- to join the coveted $20 Million Club for her part in "Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle."
10. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Diaz was the highest-paid actress over 40 years old (2013).
11. After huge comedy hits such as "The Mask" and "There's Something About Mary," Diaz also became an international sex symbol.
12. As a result, Diaz has been on many "Hot" or "Sexy" lists throughout the years, even being ranked as high as No. 13 on Empire magazine's list of "100 Sexiest Stars" in film history.
13. Interestingly enough, she told Maxim magazine in 2011 that her favorite word is "sex."
14. Prior to her success, the actress went to Long Beach Poly High School, where she performed as a member of the "Polyettes" dance team during halftime at football games.
15. Snoop Dogg also went to that high school the same time Diaz was there. The rapper has said, "She ran with my homegirls, all my little cheerleading homegirls" and that "she was fly and she was hip."
16. She also has ties to another popular musician. Diaz dated singer and actor Justin Timberlake for nearly four years, but the couple called it quits in 2007.
17. They later starred in 2011's "Bad Teacher" together, but Diaz said it "really wasn't a big deal" because they "always had a good laugh together."
18. Her high-profile relationships don't end there, though. She has dated actor Matt Dillon, actor and musician Jared Leto, and baseball star Alex Rodriguez.
19. She even fed Alex Rodriguez popcorn at Super Bowl XLV, a moment seen live by tens of millions of people.
20. On why she never tied the knot, she told Esquire magazine that "it just wasn't the thing I was drawn to."
21. She was the maid of honor, however, at best friend Drew Barrymore's wedding to husband Will Kopelman.
22. The independent woman isn't afraid to get dirty, either. She broke her nose in a surfing accident in Hawaii in 2003 and has reportedly suffered four broken noses.
23. She believes that her role in "Gangs of New York" (2002) is the pinnacle of her career.
[Sources: IMDb, Wikipedia, OTRC]
2014 Summer Movies: The Most Anticipated Summer Blockbusters, Comedies, Dramas, & More