If you don't know his name yet, you will soon.
Eddie Redmayne has slowly become a household name in the past decade, starring in roughly a dozen films and even breaking out on stage. In fact, the young actor won the Tony for Best Actor in a Play in 2010. While Redmayne has made his mark in theater, the budding star looks to add an Oscar to his collection this fall. Beginning Friday, Redmayne stars as Stephen Hawking in the acclaimed biopic "The Theory of Everything."
From his romance with his publicist to his royal classmate, here are 23 things you probably don't know about Eddie Redmayne.
1. Eddie Redmayne was born January 6, 1982 in London, England to Patricia Burke and Richard Redmayne.
2. His mother runs a relocation business and his father is a London-based businessman.
3. His great-grandfather was Sir Richard Redmayne, a noted British civil and mining engineer. He was also instrumental in the improvement of mine safety and even became the first Chief Inspector of Mines.
4. Redmayne is one of five kids, but is the only member of his family to pursue an acting career.
5. Nevertheless, his parents encouraged Redmayne to take drama lessons beginning at a young age.
6. Before the young actor pursued the craft professionally, he attended the prestigious boarding school, Eton College.
7. Prince William was one of his classmates.
8. While at Eton, Redmayne made his screen debut in the TV series "Animal Ark" in 1998.
9. His next TV gig wasn't until 2003, on an episode of the BBC series "Doctors."
10. In 2003, he graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge with a degree in Art History. After finishing school, Redmayne's career took off almost immediately.
11. One of his first roles was in the miniseries "Elizabeth I" (2005), where Redmayne had to ride a horse. The issue? Redmayne hadn't ridden a horse since he was four years old and lied in order to land the part. The young actor was ultimately ousted after blowing the big production scene. Oscar-winning director Tom Hooper reportedly grabbed his megaphone and shouted, "You're a f**king liar, Redmayne!"
12. The actor earned Outstanding Newcomer and Best Newcomer honors in 2005 for his performance in Edward Albee's "The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?" A few years later, he upped the ante.
13. In 2010, he won the Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play for his role in "Red." He was only 28 years old.
14. The role also earned him the Olivier Award for Best Supporting Actor.
15. Redmayne has also found success in Hollywood. "The Theory of Everything" is his thirteenth film credit to date.
16. His big-screen debut was in 2006's "Like Minds."
17. Redmayne's breakout role, however, was in 2012's "Les Misérables" as Marius.
18. This fall, Redmayne shines in his portrayal of Stephen Hawking in "The Theory of Everything." Hawking said, "at times, I thought it was me." High praise for the young actor.
19. Aside from theater and film, Redmayne has also modeled for Burberry. He modeled alongside Alex Pettyfer in 2008 and Cara Delevingne in 2012.
20. As for his personal life, the actor is engaged to Hannah Bagshawe. They have been together since early 2012.
21. He asked Bagshawe's father for permission to marry her. Now that's old school.
22. Bagshawe often picks out Redmayne's clothes for him because he is color blind. His favorite color is IKB-International Klein Blue. Seriously.
23. Bonus Fact: The actor's karaoke song of choice is Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell."
[Sources: IMDb, Wikipedia]
Editor's Note: We previously noted that Hannah Bagshawe was his publicist. This is incorrect. We've updated the article to reflect the correction.