The "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" trailer has set YouTube records as one of the most-viewed trailers of all time, but there's still one person who hasn't seen it: George Lucas.
Lucas, who created the "Star Wars" universe with the launch of the first film in 1977, has been relatively hands-off with the upcoming Episode VII, a fact that didn't go unnoticed by fans upon viewing the flick's first teaser, which features more practical effects than CGI. And it turns out, that non-involvement stretches to even watching the trailer itself.
In an interview with Page Six, Lucas was asked for comment on the 88-second clip.
"I don't know anything about it. I haven't seen it yet," he replied. Per Page Six:
When we further asked Lucas why he hasn't seen the clip, he explained, "Because it's not in the movie theater. I like going to the movies and watching the whole thing there.
"I plan to see it when it's released."
While perhaps Lucas's decision not to watch the trailer can simply be chalked up to wanting to keep some of the filmmakers' magic fresh for his first viewing of the movie, his reasons could be a bit more personal, too. Page Six's report references a 2013 interview with Lucas's son, Jett -- which we also reported on last year -- in which the younger Lucas said that his father was having a hard time letting go of the franchise he founded; maybe some of those feelings are playing out now?
The elder Lucas certainly seems to be a bit testy about his now-tangential connection to the series. Page Six writes, "when we asked Lucas if he was curious to see what Abrams has done with the new 'Star Wars,' Lucas said, 'Not really.'"
Sounds like there's more to this story. Regardless of Lucas's feelings, "The Force Awakens" is due to hit theaters on December 18, 2015.
[via: Page Six]
Photo credit: Getty Images