Plot & Details
In this drama, a Jewish refugee finds himself stranded in Paris just as the Nazi invaders arrive. Desperate to escape, he commanders the car of a Polish colonel who hates Jews. In order to save himself, the colonel helps the fellow escape. En route, they pick up the officer's girl friend. Trouble begins when the girl finds herself attracted to the Jewish fellow who is really quite witty and charming. The colonel is not amused, but eventually they three end up hiding in a castle. Unfortunately, they are captured anyway. To help them out, the Jewish fellow pretends the colonel is his cousin and they manage to escape. This causes the colonel to change his attitudes and the two become friends.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Drama,War
- Run Time: 105min.
- Distributor(s): Columbia Pictures
- Director(s): Peter Glenville
- Starring: Danny Kaye , Curd Jürgens , Nicole Maurey , Françoise Rosay , Akim Tamiroff
- Themes: Crimes Against Humanity,Race Relations
- Tone: Biting,Humorous,Witty
- Keywords: Jewish, Nazi, colonel, escape, girlfriend, prejudice, refugee
|Year||Award||Category||Cast & Crew||Result|
|1958||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Picture - Comedy||Nominated|
|1958||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy||Danny Kaye||Won|
|1958||Hollywood Foreign Press Association||Motion Picture Promoting International Understanding||Nominated|