Plot & Details
Based on a true story (as reported on a 1986 episode of 60 Minutes), this made-for-TV film stars Kirstie Alley and Delroy Lindo as Donna Selby and Ricardo Thornton, two developmentally challenged adults. Institutionalized throughout most of their lives, Donna and Ricardo suddenly find themselves on their own when their longtime home, a facility called Forest Haven, burns to the ground. After a few years' independence, the two protagonists have fallen in love and are determined to marry and raise a family -- but this is expressly forbidden by the Social Services authorities. Although a happy ending is a foregone conclusion in light of the actual story, the pathos and suspense along the way is almost unbearable (but certainly not unwatchable). Co-produced by star Kirstie Alley, Profoundly Normal made its CBS debut on February 9, 2003.
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 95min.
- DVD Release Date: 07/29/2008
- Director(s): Graeme Clifford
- Starring: Kirstie Alley , Delroy Lindo , Rosemary Dunsmore , Kevin Dulhaney , Catherine Fitch
- Themes: Fighting the System,Living With Disability
- Tone: Bittersweet,Compassionate,Warm
- Keywords: fire-disaster, institution, mental-retardation, social-issues