After several months of uncertainty about its future, "Project Runway" has received a real-life version of the Tim Gunn Save: The show will be back for a 17th season, and it's returning to its original network, Bravo.
The announcement was made at the NBCUniversal upfronts presentation on Monday, where Bravo's Andy Cohen revealed the exciting news.
"'Project Runway' is coming back where it all started," Cohen told the upfronts crowd. "It's coming home on Bravo."
The fashion design competition series had been airing on Lifetime since way back in 2009, wrapping its 16th season in November. But it originated on Bravo, which broadcast seasons one through five -- often considered some of the best by fans -- beginning in 2004.
The show was eventually sold to Lifetime in a splashy deal with producers The Weinstein Company, and had as recently as 2016 been picked up for multiple additional seasons, including renewals for spinoff series "Project Runway All Stars" and "Project Runway Junior." But the scandal that plagued producer Harvey Weinstein last fall put most of TWC's projects in limbo, including "Project Runway," and it was uncertain if the show would continue at all.
Thankfully, that behind the scenes drama appears to be over. According to The Hollywood Reporter, a recent acquisition deal means that "PR" will indeed make it work once again.
"We are beyond excited to reboot 'Project Runway' at the network where it all began," said Frances Berwick, president of Lifestyle Networks at NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, in a statement touting the news. "Leaning into the creative process in an entertaining way has always been part of Bravo's DNA, and 'Project Runway'perfectly captures that. ... [W]e expect it to drive the same level of fan-dom and passion as we experienced last time it was on Bravo."
We expecting the same, too.
No word yet on when season 17 is set to premiere. Stay tuned.
[via: The Hollywood Reporter]