'Castle Rock' Season 2 Will Be 'Misery'-Themed, Lizzy Caplan Cast as Psychopath Annie Wilkes
"Misery" loves company and it'll get plenty in the second season of Hulu's "Castle Rock."
The anthology, which weaves together many of Stephen King's characters and locations, will have a "Misery" prequel theme. Lizzy Caplan ("Masters of Sex") has been cast as psychopathic nurse Annie Wilkes, the role Kathy Bates made famous and won an Oscar for in the 1990 film.
Season 2 will explore a feud between warring clans that comes to a boil when Annie, King's nurse from hell, gets waylaid in Castle Rock.
Also joining the cast are:
- "Eighth Grade" breakout Elsie Fisher as Joy, Annie's home-schooled teenage daughter who is starting to have questions about her mother's sanity
- Tim Robbins as Reginald "Pop" Merrill, the famed patriarch of King's iconic crime family who is dying of cancer and at a reckoning with his family (the character was featured in King's 1990 novella "The Sun Dog")
- Garrett Hedlund as John "Ace" Merrill, the town of Castle Rock's legendary bully who is taking over his uncle Po's business and threatening a fragile peace with nearby Jerusalem's Lot (featured in 1991's "Needful Things")
- Yusra Warsama ("Call the Midwife") as Dr. Nadia Omar, the Harvard-trained Somali medical director of a rural hospital in Jerusalem's Lot whose rational and scientific mind will be put to the test
- Barkhad Abdi ("Captain Phillips") as Abdi Omar, Nadia's tough, older brother who leads the charge to build a Somali community center that will deepen the roots of his people in Maine
- Matthew Alan ("13 Reasons Why") as Chris Merrill, Pop's nephew and Ace's brother who struggles to keep peace between the Merrills and the Somali community.
It's unclear if any Season 1 cast members will return. The show will feature a new storyline every season.
"Castle Rock" Season 2 does not yet have a premiere date.