Based on the 2009 investigative book by BBC correspondent Martin Sixsmith, The Lost Child of Philomena Lee, 'PHILOMENA' focuses on the efforts of Philomena Lee (Dench), mother to a boy conceived out of wedlock - something her Irish-Catholic community didn't have the highest opinion of - and given away for adoption in the United States. In following church doctrine, she was forced to sign a contract that wouldn't allow for any sort of inquiry into the son's whereabouts. After starting a family years later in England and, for the most part, moving on with her life, Lee meets Sixsmith (Coogan), a BBC reporter with whom she decides to discover her long-lost son.
- MPAA Rating: PG-13
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 98min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 11/22/2013
- DVD Release Date: 04/15/2014
- Status: In Theaters
- Distributor(s): Weinstein Co., BBC Films, BFI, Pathe, Yucaipa Films
Sophie Kennedy Clark
Anna Maxwell Martin
- Themes: Obsessive Quests,Teen Pregnancy,Haunted By the Past,Members of the Press
- Tone: Bittersweet,Compassionate,Humorous,Poignant
adoption, pregnancy, reporter, search
- Country of Origin: USA - Limi,USA - Limited (11-22-2013)
- Language: English