Plot & Details
A cautious single mom and a frustrated writer dance around the prospect of getting together in this romantic comedy. Caustic, difficult Emily (Susan Sarandon) lives with her potty-mouthed son, Tim (Wil Wheaton), and her obnoxiously bossy mother (Jean Stapleton). Her social life consists of afternoon dalliances with a total cad. When part-time writer/inventor and full-time school security guard Joe (Richard Dreyfuss) passes up the chance to turn Tim in for not meeting the school's residency requirements, a paranoid Emily accuses him of masterminding a blackmail scheme. Unbeknownst to Emily, though, the friendless, fatherless Tim strikes up an unlikely friendship with Joe. Eventually, against her better judgement, so does Emily herself. But when one of Joe's inventions begins to take off, his sadistic ex-girlfriend, Carrie (Nancy Allen), shows up to spoil things. Directed by TV vet Glenn Jordan, The Buddy System was written by future Beaches scribe Mary Agnes Donohue. The film marked the feature debut of future Stand By Me and Star Trek: The Next Generation star Wheaton.
- Genre(s): Comedy,Romance
- Run Time: 110min.
- Director(s): Glenn Jordan
- Starring: Richard Dreyfuss , Susan Sarandon , Nancy Allen , Jean Stapleton , Wil Wheaton
- Themes: Mothers and Sons,Single Parents,Otherwise Engaged
- Tone: Light,Sentimental,Warm,Wistful,Wry
- Keywords: inventor, matchmaker, romance, writing, family, friendship, love, self-discovery
- Language: English