It looks like Jack Pearson dies on Super Bowl Sunday 1998. "This Is Us" Season 2 will show it on Super Bowl Sunday 2018. It'll be "soul-crushing." And it's George's fault.
"This Is Us" finally revealed the cause of the giant house fire that appears to take Jack's life. It was George's dang Crock-Pot.
Next week, "This Is Us" airs after the Super Bowl, and THAT episode may damn near kill us all. The preview alone gave us chills. It promises to answer all of our questions. It shows Jack going into the fire, like the hero he is. Does he go back to save Kate's dog, leaving her feeling responsible for his death? If only they had gotten those smoke detector batteries!
The end of the January 23 episode showed Jack cleaning up the kitchen, and accidentally switching on the old slow cooker that he got from an old guy named George. (George, you knew it had a wonky switch!)
After Jack went to bed, the heating Crock-Pot led to a fire that spread from cloths through the kitchen. The smoke alarm had no batteries to warn them. Now we're really going to get into the meat of what happened, and the guilt that both Kate and Kevin -- who was a brat to his dad and never apologized -- still feel decades later.
Fans cry over "This Is Us" ever week, but this time they were also shaken by the idea that Crock-Pots can come for any of us at any time! It was a lesson in turning everything off, unplugging everything, and assuming the fetal position until next week:
Derek Shepard: My death was the saddest in tv history!— Lauren Tielbur (@LaurenTielbur) January 24, 2018
Jack Pearson: Hold my crockpot!#ThisIsUs
Miguel: I'm the most hated character on #ThisIsUs.— Rich Spada (@Chef_Spada) January 24, 2018
George: Hold my crockpot.
I get married in less than 2 months and suddenly I feel the need to remove the crockpot from the registry. WE. DONT. NEED. IT. 😭 #ThisIsUs— Lauren Luna (@_vivalaluna) January 24, 2018
I didn't think I could hate anyone on this show more than I hate Miguel, but George and his stupid crockpot just took that crown. #ThisIsUs— Matt Dowell (@TheMattDowell) January 24, 2018
Battery sales/smoke detectors ↗️; #crockpot sales ↘️— Rhonda Hufnagel (@Readingrah) January 24, 2018
Goodnight to everyone except the couple that gave Jack and Rebecca that crockpot #ThisIsUs— jelly (@_dreambean_) January 24, 2018
Crock-Pots are destined to become memes now. Hopefully the company isn't really blamed.
Crock-Pot reached out to fans on Facebook, in response to the episode (via TV Guide):
"This Is Us" executive producer Dan Fogelman even reached out to ask fans not to blame the company:
Taking a moment to remind everyone that it was a 20 year old fictional crockpot with an already funky switch? Let's not just lump all those lovely hardworking crockpots together. #ThisIsUs— Dan Fogelman (@Dan_Fogelman) January 24, 2018
It's not a real scenario. And in real life the problem is keeping it plugged in on the stove, with the switch facing outward where you can accidentally brush past it, and also keeping cloths so close to the burners. No one wants to blame Jack, because he's Jack and we know he dies, but he has some responsibility here too.
Milo Ventimiglia warned Entertainment Weekly that, when death does come for Jack:
"It's just an absolute soul-crushing event. Once you figure out the moment where it's going to happen, you may get some hope — and then it's all going to go away. I think the best thing I can say — or the worst thing I can say — is: It's going to be f—ing painful."
"This Is Us" will not air next Tuesday -- that's the State of the Union address. Instead, the next episode is the one on Super Bowl Sunday, February 4, around 10:30 p.m. It'll be a late one. Executive producer Isaac Aptaker teased to TV Guide:
"We're not going to shy away from the football. We're going to lean into the football. It's just, it is a really huge, awesome episode of television. Dan [Fogelman, series creator] wrote this script that just was incredible."
Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.