FX has a lot of exciting content waiting in the wings for viewers, and that involves a great deal of behind the scenes work from the network's creative talent. And unfortunately, that means that two of the cable outlet's most prestigious series aren't ready to resurface just yet.
That was the word from FX CEO John Landgraf, who appeared at a panel discussion at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Monday to chat about what's currently in development. The good news is that celebrated anthology series "American Crime Story" and "Feud" are still on the network's radar, will likely be back for new seasons. The bad news is that there's no telling exactly when that will be -- or what story will form the basis for either installment.
Things sound a bit more certain for "ACS," though the development of its would-be third season has been rocky for quite some time. A story centered around the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina had originally been slated for the show's second season, before being bumped to third position.
That season would have documented the U.S. government's delayed response to the 2005 disaster, and stars including Dennis Quaid, Matthew Broderick, and Annette Bening were all attached. But the source material was eventually swapped, leaving the cast -- save for longtime Murphy collaborator Sarah Paulson -- in limbo, and the idea was eventually put on hold.
Landgraf told the TCA crowd on Monday that the Katrina story had officially been shelved entirely, as had Murphy's pitch for a different installment, revolving around the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky scandal. But despite all that uncertainty, the CEO said that "American Crime Story" was still very much alive.
"We have three or four ideas in active development where we've acquired rights and done a fair amount of research and have writers working on them," Landgraf said of future "ACS" seasons. "I couldn't tell you what will be ready first. The likelihood is all of them may be produced over time."
Less clear is the future of "Feud." After the first season, featuring the story of screen queens Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, Murphy had been developing a second season based around Prince Charles and Princess Diana, with casting already completed. But that production never got off the ground, and Landgraf said on Monday that Murphy did not currently have a pitch for season two.
While there's no telling when -- or if -- "Feud" will return, Landgraf seemed positive about its future place on the network. It may just take a while to materialize.
"Having worked with Ryan for 16 years, he gets inspired by something and calls and tells you, 'I have another cycle coming,'" Landgraf explained. "I wouldn't be surprised to get a call that he has an idea but we don't have one at the moment."
[via: The Hollywood Reporter]