Plot & Details
Starring James Franco in a career-defining performance as Allen Ginsberg, 'Howl' is the story of how the young poet's seminal work broke down societal barriers in the face of an infamous public obscenity trial. In his famously confessional style, Ginsberg--poet, counter-culture icon, and chronicler of the Beat Generation--recounts the road trips, love affairs, and search for personal liberation that led to 'Howl', the most timeless work of his career. 'Howl' interweaves three stories: the unfolding of the landmark 1957 obscenity trial; an imaginative animated ride through the prophetic masterpiece; and a unique portrait of a man who found new ways to express himself, and in doing so, changed his own life and galvanized a generation.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 90min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/24/2010
- DVD Release Date: 01/04/2011
- Director(s): Robert Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman
- Starring: James Franco , Mary-Louise Parker , David Strathairn , Jon Hamm , Bob Balaban
- Themes: Bohemian Life,Writer's Life,Misfits and Outsiders
- Tone: Cerebral,Literate,Talky
- Keywords: Beatnik,poetry,obscenity,trial [courtroom]
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (09-24-2010)
- Language: English