Plot & Details
Iranian filmmaker Mohsen Makhmalbaf examines the troubling story of life in neighboring Afghanistan in this compelling drama. Nafas (Niloufar Pazira) is a reporter who was born in Afghanistan, but fled with her family to Canada as a child, escaping the violence of the country's political instability. However, her sister wasn't so lucky; she lost her legs to a land mine while young, and when Nafas and her family left the country, her sister was accidentally left behind. Nafas receives a letter from her sister announcing that she's decided to kill herself during the final eclipse before the dawn of the 21st century; desperate to spare her sister's life, Nafas makes haste to Afghanistan, where she joins a caravan of refugees who, for a variety of reasons, are returning to the war-torn nation. As Nafas searches for her sister, she soon gets a clear and disturbing portrait of the toll the Taliban regime has taken upon its people. Also featuring Hassan Tantai and Sadou Teymouri, Safar E Gandehar was shown in competition at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Horror,Foreign
- Run Time: 85min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 12/14/2001
- DVD Release Date: 01/01/2003
- Distributor(s): Avatar Films, Mars Films
- Director(s): Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- Starring: Niloufar Pazira , Hassan Tantai , Sadou Teymouri
- Themes: Assumed Identities,Nothing Goes Right,Race Against Time,Obsessive Quests,Sibling Relationships,Journey of Self-Discovery
- Tone: Atmospheric,Bleak,Compassionate,Disturbing,Intimate,Tense
- Keywords: caravan, doctor, land-mine, sister, suicide-pact, village, wedding
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (12-14-2001)
- Language: English,Farsi