Liebestraum is a moody, stylish suspense thriller written and directed by British director Mike Figgis. Nick (Kevin Anderson) is an architectural writer who goes home to be with his dying mother, Mrs. Anderssen (Kim Novak) from whom he was separated as a baby. There he meets an old friend and has an affair with the friend's wife, who was herself adopted after her mother went insane. Through a series of coincidences and a good deal of investigation Nick learns some terrible truths concerning everyone. The film, while beautiful to look at, and with a wonderful score composed by Figgis, is more interested in style and emotion rather than cogent explanations for the actions of the characters, however, taken for what it is, a mood piece, Liebestraum succeeds beautifully. Figgis has beautiful technique and is greatly aided by Juan Ruiz-Anchia's stark and evocative images.
- Genre(s): Crime and Mystery,Drama,Thriller
- Run Time: 109min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/13/1991
- DVD Release Date: 07/24/2001
- Distributor(s): Pathe Entertaiment
- Themes: Infidelity,Mothers and Sons
- Tone: Enigmatic,Gloomy,Moody,Stylized
desire, extramarital-affair, killing, marriage, friendship, investigation, love-triangle, murder
- Country of Origin: USA (09-13-1991)
- Language: English