Plot & Details
Rhinoceros is another American Film Theatre movie recording a notable stage production. The incomparable duo of Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder, whose earlier work in The Producers is now a comedy classic, join forces here to make the surreal comedy of Eugene Ionesco's play come to life. Ionesco was a leading exponent of "theater of the absurd," and realism was the last thing on his mind. For that reason, many people find this comedy rough going. Stanley (Gene Wilder) seems to be the only one who notices that everyone in the world is turning into Rhinoceroses--Everyone. First, they are overcome by a certain indifference to human values, and then POOF! they are on all fours, knocking over buildings and eating vegetation. He confides his concerns to his friend John (Zero Mostel), but even he swiftly begins to develop certain "thickish" tendencies.
- MPAA Rating: PG
- Genre(s): Comedy
- Run Time: 101min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 09/04/2006
- DVD Release Date: 04/01/2003
- Director(s): Tom O'Horgan
- Themes: Plagues and Epidemics
- Tone: Talky,Biting,Cynical,Fanciful,Hallucinatory,Quirky
- Keywords: clerk, conformity, madness, metamorphosis, rhinoceros
- Language: English