It's only March, and it already feels like summer movie season is in full swing.
The next blockbuster out of the gate is "Power Rangers," a big-budget reboot of the popular TV series. But don't worry if you haven't watched an episode in 20 years. We're breaking down everything you need to know so you can bring a little Morphin' Time into your life.
1. It's a RebootDon't worry if you're not caught up on all 24 seasons of the "Power Rangers" TV show. Unlike the previous theatrical film from 1995, this movie serves as a total reboot for the franchise. Hardcore fans will recognize the main characters and many other callbacks to classic TV episodes, but the point is to appeal to a wider audience thirsty for a mash-up of superhero movies and "Pacific Rim."
All you really need to know about the movie is that it features five ordinary high schoolers who gain super-powers and band together to fight an evil sorceress using their giant robots. You know, the typical teen experience.
2. You'll See Some Familiar Faces
The Power Rangers have gone through countless changes over the years, with the show constantly re-branding itself and rotating out old cast members in favor of new ones. But for many Power Rangers fans, the original cast of "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" will always be the definitive lineup, so we're not surprised to see the movie going back to that well.
"Power Rangers" features new versions of the original five Rangers -- Red Ranger Jason (Dacre Montgomery), Pink Ranger Kimberly (Naomi Scott), Blue Ranger Billy (RJ Cyler), Yellow Ranger Trini (Becky G), and Black Ranger Zack (Ludi Lin).
Also, the film will feature a cameo by OG Pink Ranger, Amy Jo Johnson.
3. These Are the Most 'Grounded' Power Rangers Ever"Power Rangers" is directed by Dean Israelite, best known for 2015's "Project Almanac." That's apparently a sign of what fans can expect from this reboot, as Israelite has said the tone will be similar. (Here's hoping it's not as terrible as the director's feature debut.)
Expect a slightly more grounded take on the Power Rangers mythos, one that focuses a great deal on the team's dysfunctional relationships with each other and their parents.
4. The Rangers Get Super-Power'd UpDon't expect things to be too grounded, however. At the end of the day, "Power Rangers" is still the story of five color-coded heroes battling monsters through the twin powers of martial arts and friendship. The story, judging by the trailers, seems to be "Chronicle" meets Power Rangers, with our heroes getting expose to a space rock thing that gives them the need for morphin' time.
Expect plenty of crazy monster designs in the new films, though, including some seriously upgraded Putties and a new take on iconic villain Goldar.
The Rangers themselves will also be getting a serious upgrade in the costume department. Whereas the show tends to portray them as simple martial artists in spandex, the Rangers will be gaining actual super-powers in this reboot. Between super-strength and some seriously upgraded armor, these Rangers are ready to punch evil in the face.
5. Rita Repulsa Is the Big BadWith the original team of Power Rangers being featured in this reboot, it's only fair that their greatest nemesis, Rita Repulsa, also sticks around. This time around, the green everything will be played be a very cackle-heavy Elizabeth Banks.
But rather than being just a hammy villainess who conjures an endless stream of giant monsters for the Power Rangers to fight, look for the movie to devote a lot more time to exploring her backstory. We'll learn a lot more about the history between Rita and Zordon, and how she went from being Earth's greatest protector to its worst nightmare.
6. There Could Be SequelsSaban Entertainment is planning for multiple sequels to this reboot, possibly even "five or six" by the time all is said and done. (Read: If the movie is a hit, and that is a big "if"). And with so many new Rangers and monsters left to explore, it's not as if there's a shortage of material for these movies to mine.
We assume that the first order of business for the sequel will be to introduce Rita's master, Lord Zedd, and fan-favorite hero Tommy, the Green Ranger.
We're keeping our fingers crossed that one or both of these characters will have some sort of cameo appearance in the film.
"Power Rangers" hits theaters March 24th.
Five ordinary teens must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove - and the world - is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so, they will have to overcome their real-life issues and before it's too late, band together as the Power Rangers. Read More