During the network's TCA event Monday, ABC Entertainment President Channing Dungey made it clear that the show's cancellation was not political, Deadline reports. Specifically, the exec shared that star Tim Allen's conservative beliefs were not a factor in the decision as some fans suggested.
"His personal politics had nothing to do with it," she said.
Dungey insisted that not only did the network value Allen but there are actors with a range of political views spread across ABC's shows. Ultimately, she said, the call came down to the fact that the schedule did not have room for "Last Man Standing."
The show's solid ratings have made the cancellation particularly hard to accept for fans, so it is hard to say whether or not Dungey's comments will be pacifying. Allen previously stated that he was "stunned and blindsided" by the cancellation after doing the show for six years, and fans were equally shocked. Thousands of them were so upset that they signed a petition calling on ABC to bring it back and even threatened to boycott the network.
At least two rival networks have considered saving "Last Man Standing," but both attempts ultimately fell through. Here's hoping fans find a new show to fill the void soon.