You've probably seen the back-and-forth reports from the former costars. Eggert (who played Jamie Powell) decided to take the matter a step further and file a police report against "Charles" lead Baio. According to TMZ, their costar Alexander Polinksy (Adam Powell) accompanied Eggert and told the detectives from LAPD's Sexual Assault Section that he witnessed and experienced some of Baio's alleged abuse.
The detectives met with Eggert, Polinsky, and her attorney Lisa Bloom on Tuesday. Eggert explained her allegations -- that Baio molested her when she was 14, 15, and 16 during taping of their TV show. Baio said that's not true, that he and Eggert had sex once when she was 18.
Eggert's lawyer reportedly gave detectives a list of witnesses who claimed to have also seen inappropriate behavior from Baio to Eggert. Since the alleged abuse happened from 1986-1990, TMZ said it's possible the statue of limitations has run out.
Attorney Lisa Bloom confirmed the meeting in a shared a statement to The Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday:
"Yesterday Nicole Eggert and I met with two police detectives from the sexual assault unit at my law firm. Nicole answered all of their questions for over an hour and told her story of sexual abuse by Scott Baio when she was a minor. A witness, [Charles in Charge star] Alexander Polinsky, appeared as well and told the detectives about inappropriate touching he witnessed, as well as his own allegations of bullying by Scott Baio."
Baio's rep responded to TMZ's request for comment on the police report:
"We've been demanding since last year that Nicole Eggert bring her story to the authorities. It's good that she finally has, even if it's part of a publicity campaign. Perhaps she can explain to them her ever-changing story."
Eggert was on "The View" Wednesday morning, and Polinsky provided a statement sharing his own story.Sara Gilbert -- who is friends with Alexander Polinsky in real life -- got emotional when reading the now 43-year-old actor's statement (via People):
"Working on the set of Charles in Charge from age 11 to 15 was no picnic, it was a toxic environment. I witnessed Scott Baio acting inappropriately towards Nicole Eggert during my first year of working on the show. I walked in on them together behind the set. Nicole was on Scott's lap and he did not appreciate my intrusion. He yelled at me and called me various homophobic slurs.
Growing up on the show I received regular verbal attacks, mental abuse and I also suffered a physical assault at the hands of Scott Baio. There is no excuse for his behavior. It is abhorrent.
Both Nicole and I were minors. We deserved safe passage to do our jobs and also be kids. If we want to change the culture, we have to bring out the truth, take back control from the abusers and make them listen to the pain of their victims.
For the sake of the next generation of young artists we must empower parents and social workers to heed the signals, ask the proper questions and protect children from monsters in the workplace. The cycle of abuse must stop. Even 30 years after the acts, they still matter."
As of Wednesday evening, Baio had yet to respond to Polinsky's statement. After Eggert first went public with her molestation allegations, Baio defended himself on Twitter and posted a Facebook Live video to try and "prove" her allegations were false.
Here is my full response to Nicole Eggert's false charges.https://t.co/TZd7liWgAv— Scott Baio (@ScottBaio) January 28, 2018
"Charles in Charge" premiered in 1984 and ran for five seasons (with a break from 1985-1987), ending in 1990.
Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.