Apparently everything went wrong for Marvel fans at the "Avengers: Infinity War" red carpet event at Shanghai Disney Resort. Now fans are flooding the comments of the stars' social media posts to apologize.
It's confusing for people who weren't there, so we tried to figure out why so many Chinese fans were apologizing to Robert Downey Jr., Tom Holland, Mark Ruffalo, Tom Hiddleston, and the Russo Brothers.
Here are some innocuous looking photos just posted by RDJ and the "Infinity War" directors -- all filled with comments from apologetic fans:
This totally just happened... Thank you and goodbye #Shanghai... @avengers #INFINITYWAR #WORLDTOUR2018 #TeamStark #IronSpider #IronBanner #IronLoki @therussobrothers @tomholland2013 @twhiddleston ????credit @jimmy_rich grooming @davynewkirk styling @jeanneyangstyle
Here's a very small sampling of responses to those posts, and the stars' previous posts:
• We Chinese fans are really sorry about all the terrible things happened today...We are very angry about the disgusting arrangement and those crazy fans who chased the cars, but we can't find an effective way to protest against it. You guys are awesome and deserve better. Please remember that we will always love you and be willing to support you!
• Truly sorry for what happened today! We did against the agenda and all that 'singers '. I just want you to know there are a lot more people out there who love you and love all the casts. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip in china. We all love you ❤️❤️❤️
• Deepest apologies from ur Chinese fan, the company who organized this should be responsible for that. Please don't get mad and we love u so much.
• I'm so sorry about what happened in Shanghai today. We love u forever!❤️
• We are so sorry that bad things happened on the stage and what the MC said was so rude. It's the stupid sponsor's mistake that made you so unhappy. The singers were invited by the sponsor. When they came on the stage the fans shouted no loudly. We CHINESE fans truly love you and we are blaming the sponsor. I know it's a bad experience for you ????we feel very angry too. Soooo sorry and we love u.
• Every Chinese fans were super happy about your guys visit. But sorry about the nonsensical arrangement, every marvel fans are angry about that, just wanna let you know we all love you sooo much❤️❤️❤️
• You deserve better????????????We really sorry for what happened today. And all fans really want you can have a enjoyable travel. Marvel China blame us and we can't do anything. We feel angry to their arrangement.but I hope you know WE LOVE YOU FOREVER!❤️❤️❤️
• Hey！Robert，I'm a fan of China，and I show my apology for you didn't have a good journey in my country. I want to tell you, there 're thousands of Chinese fans who really support you and feel heart broken for this awful arrangement. It's not our true wish that you came across in the celebration. We are really care about you and we all are blaming the designers of this activity. We want you to know, we fans really love you and will support you forever, we are not one of those crazies who surrounded your car or stay in your hotel. We are true fans care about you, want you to be happy. So, don't be so care about the bad feelings in the celebration. There 're still a lot of Chinese fans who love you so much that willing to queue for more than fifteen hours only to see you once. And we care about you,we are so sorry and we want you to cheer up.
• As a Chinese fan，I need to say sorry for u guys for what happened in Shanghai.
• We're really sorry about the way you were treated at events in China, and we want you to know that Chinese fans love Marvel so much and love you so much, I hope you're not disappointed with us. ❤️❤️❤️❤️Welcome to your next visit.
There's more on Twitter:
— YeShi (@YeShi_LL) April 19, 2018
I feel really very sorry for what happened last night in Shanghai DisneyTown. The Avengers: InfinityWar RedCarpet late-night queuing turned into a total disaster. The organizers did a terrible job, both Marvel China & Disney China.
— Colleen (@colleen3684) April 19, 2018
China sponsors and promotion team of Marvel #InfinityWar premiere is so disappointing! We don't need a concert of irrelevant Singers! Their fans don't know about Marvel but they hold the most of the tickets and they may be SPOILERS after watching the clip. @MarvelStudios@Marvelpic.twitter.com/1ba446FSxH
— Juicely猪事喱 (@zsy_hp_1992) April 16, 2018
What the heck are they talking about? Between the vague messages and slight language barrier, there are still some question marks on the details. But, according to MCU Cosmic -- who compiled information from Gavin Feng on Twitter -- there were problems from the start about how the fan event was arranged:
• The Chinese sponsor of the event limited the red carpet to just thirty minutes. In comparison, the Korea event had an hour and a half for the red carpet.
• Most of the tickets are being held by big Chinese companies and celebrity's studios. Marvel fan groups only received nine tickets total.
• Both the red carpet and footage screening take place at the same time, which means fans can't attend both.
• Robert Downey Jr., Tom Holland, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, and Mark Ruffalo are said to appear there, but they'll only be on stage and not at the red carpet. Instead some big Chinese celebrities invited by the sponsor will be the main event.
• Those celebrities have the most tickets, so the Infinity War footage will be watched by their fans instead of Marvel fans.
• Since the fans of those celebrities aren't familiar with the Marvel concept of not spoiling stuff, there is a worry among Marvel fans that the footage will quickly leak online after the fan event.
It doesn't seem like leaked footage became a major problem. And the stars don't seem to be complaining or upset with China. (Also, Hemsworth doesn't seem to have been there.) They know the Chinese fans are passionate and loyal -- and a huge force in the international market. It's a shame things went awry in the planning and execution of the event, but no serious harm done. We think?
"Avengers: Infinity War" opens in the U.S. on April 27, and in China on May 11.
Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.
Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk and the rest of the Avengers unite to battle their most powerful enemy yet -- the evil Thanos. On a mission to collect all six Infinity Stones, Thanos plans to use the artifacts to inflict his twisted will on reality. The fate of the planet and existence itself has never been more uncertain as everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment. Read More