Harvey Weinstein was back in court on Monday morning to answer new charges in his ongoing sexual assault case in New York City.
Weinstein pleaded not guilty to one additional count of committing a criminal sexual act in the first degree, and two counts of committing predatory sexual assault. The latter charge is a felony, and carries a maximum sentence of life in prison.
The disgraced former producer -- who has been accused of sexual harassment and/or assault by more than 75 women over a decades-long span -- was previously charged by the Manhattan District Attorney's Office with committing a criminal sexual act in the first degree, as well as first- and third-degree rape. He also pleaded not guilty to those charges.
Speaking to reporters on Monday, Weinstein's attorney, Benjamin Brafman, maintained his client's innocence, and said that Weinstein "expects to be fully vindicated." In an additional statement issued to the media, Brafman said:
"The case has not grown stronger for the prosecution. Indeed, since his arrest in May his defense has grown substantially stronger, as we have found overwhelming corroboration well beyond Mr. Weinstein’s assertions that support his claim that all sexual encounters were consensual and that he did not rape anyone."
Weinstein remains free on bail, and is next expected back in court on September 20. Brafman told reporters that he expects the D.A. to file additional charges.
[via: The Hollywood Reporter]