Actor Ray McKinnon (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) makes his debut behind the camera with Chrystal, a psychological drama written, directed, and produced by the long-time character player. The film stars Billy Bob Thornton as Joe, a man who returns home after a 16-year prison stint. Before his conviction, Joe was involved in a car wreck while being pursued by the authorities. Though he survived, Joe's wife Chrystal (Lisa Blount) suffered permanent injuries and the couple's young son was killed. While Joe seeks redemption, he must also contend with Snake (McKinnon), a drug dealer who is less than kind to the ex-con. Chrystal premiered at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.
- MPAA Rating: R
- Genre(s): Drama
- Run Time: 120min.
- Theatrical Release Date: 04/08/2005
- DVD Release Date: 08/30/2005
- Distributor(s): First Look
Billy Bob Thornton
Harry J. Lennix
- Themes: Haunted By the Past,Redemption,Starting Over,Southern Gothic,Death of a Child
- Tone: Cathartic,Melancholy,Reflective
car-crash, death, ex-convict, handicap, homecoming, redemption
- Country of Origin: USA - Limited (04-08-2005)
- Language: English