Andrew Garfield, Kristen Stewart, and the ‘CODA’ Team Triumph at the 5th Annual Hollywood Critics Association Awards
Ariana DeBose, ‘Mass’ writer/director Fran Kranz and Nicolas Cage all collected trophies.
Nestled among the giant likes of awards shows such as the Oscars and the various guilds are the scrappier, more entertaining galas such as Monday evening’s Hollywood Critics Association Awards.
This year’s event, the fifth annual ceremony and the first to be held in person since the start of the pandemic saw a wide variety of actors and artisans honored with both traditional categories and special awards. Among the winners this year? Andrew Garfield, Kristen Stewart, and directors Denis Villeneuve and Jane Campion.
On the special award front, Kenneth Branagh was awarded Excellence in Artistry (while his latest, ‘Belfast’, also won the Cast Ensemble award), and the actor/writer/director naturally quoted Shakespeare in his acceptance speech.
Here’s the full list of winners:
- Best Picture - CODA
- Best Actor - Andrew Garfield, tick, tick…BOOM!
- Best Actress - Kristen Stewart, Spencer
- Best Supporting Actor - Troy Kotsur, CODA
- Best Supporting Actress - Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
- Best Cast Ensemble - Belfast
- Best Director *Tie* - Denis Villeneuve, Dune & Jane Campion, The Power of The Dog
- Best Original Screenplay - Fran Kranz, Mass
- Best Adapted Screenplay - Siân Heder, CODA
- Best Animated or VFX Performance - Stephanie Beatriz, Encanto
- Best Action Film - The Harder They Fall
- Best Animated Film - The Mitchells vs. The Machines
- Best Comedy or Musical - tick, tick…BOOM!
- Best Documentary - Summer of Soul
- Best Horror - Last Night in Soho
- Best Indie Film - Pig
- Best International Film - Drive My Car
- Best First Feature - Lin-Manuel Miranda, tick, tick…BOOM!
- Best Short Film - Us Again
- Best Score - Hans Zimmer, Dune
- Best Original Song - Be Alive, King Richard
- Best Cinematography - Greig Fraser, Dune
- Best Production Design - Tamara Deverell, Nightmare Alley
- Best Film Editing - Paul Machliss, Last Night in Soho
- Best Stunts - Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings
- Best Costume Design - Jenny Beavan, Cruella
- Best Hair & Makeup - Justin Raleigh, Linda Dowds, and Stephanie Ingram, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
- Best Visual Effects - Brian Connor, Gerd Nefzer, Paul Lambert, and Tristan Myles, Dune
- Acting Achievement Award - Nicolas Cage
- Artisan Achievement Award - Greig Fraser
- Artisan on the Rise - Alice Brooks
- Excellence in Artistry - Kenneth Branagh
- Filmmaker on the Rise - Natalie Morales
- Filmmaking Achievement Award - Guillermo del Toro
- Game Changer Award - Simu Liu
- Inspire Award - Aunjanue Ellis
- International Icon Award - Javier Bardem
- Newcomer Award - Jude Hill
- Spotlight Award - The Cast of CODA
- Star on the Rise - Saniyya Sidney