If they ever want to make a "Suicide Squad" sequel -- or even a trilogy -- they can probably just cobble a film together from deleted scenes. Jared Leto was just deep sighing about the many Joker scenes cut from the finished Warner Bros./DC film, and now users on Reddit are sharing details on exactly what was cut.
These lists aren't official -- and nothing will be official until/unless they are included as extras in the eventual "Suicide Squad" Blu-ray/DVD release -- but they are specific and believable, and hint to what could've been for Leto's Joker, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn, Jai Courtney's Captain Boomerang, Joel Kinnaman's Rick Flag, Cara Delevingne's June Moone/Enchantress, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje's Killer Croc, Jay Hernandez's El Diablo, Karen Fukuhara's Katana, Adam Beach's Slipknot, and Will Smith's Deadshot.
*Warning: Spoilers ahead*
Here's one Reddit rundown, in photo and list form:
• In early cuts, the movie's opening detailed June Moon's possession by Enchantress in real tome. Reshoots reshuffled the scene to be later in the movie in flashback form in favour of a new opening centered on Deadshot.
• Deadshot in the prison cell, watching the rain fall and thinking about his daughter.
• El Diablo observing the flame of a lit match, before putting it out due to his vow to no longer use his powers.
• El Diablo being escorted to a training center by being placed in a tube that fills with water to quell his flames, and then unceremoniously dropped onto the ground.
• Early interviews showed Captain Boomerang's racism and sexism, but the movie is light on examples of such behavior, which have apparently been deleted. Most of them were reportedly directed at Katana, to whom Boomerang is attracted.
• Early reports indicated more backstory for Killer Croc, revealing that he entire life as a social outcast due to his physical appearance and has convinced himself that he is beautiful in his own way. Croc crossed paths with Batman while working as muscle-for-hire for numerous Gotham's crime bosses, while secretly planning to take over one day. There were also scenes displaying his affinity for making sculptures out of discarded materials. Aside from jokes about Croc viewing himself as 'beautiful,' one of these were retained in the final cut.
• Also deleted was a scene where he becomes sick at the helicopter escort to Midway City, throws up half-digested pieces of goat, and then eats them again, disgusting the nearby Navy Seals.
• Early cuts reportedly included a passing reference to Slipknot being serial rapist, likely to further paint him as unsympathetic to the audience ahead of his own death.
• More scenes of Rick Flag and June Moon's romantic relationship, including him reading the files of the Suicide Squad recruits after Waller delivers them to him.
• Another scene where Flag and Moon are out on a date.
• Extended scene of Joker interrogating Captain Griggs, including the line, "I can't wait to show you my toys," which was in every trailer, but was removed from the movie.
• Joker and his men escaping after shooting up a restaurant. Harley, who is already affiliated with the Joker, follows them on a motorcycle and intercepts their car. Joker bangs his head against the glass in frustration."
• Joker and Harley then get into a fight, which ends with Harley pointing a gun at Joker's head. Joker sweet-talks Harley into lowering the gun, charming her, then backhands her across the face. Afterwards he sweet-talks her again and they kiss.
• Extended Ace Chemicals scene where Harley jumps into the chemicals. More bits of dialogue from Joker.
• Extended Batmobile chase scene with more interaction between Joker and Harley. One of the examples, presented in all the trailers, is the Joker punching the roof of his car.
• Harley using her baseball bat as a mock gun to play shoot at invisible foes.
• Extended scene of Joker breaking into the nanobomb manufacture facility to arrange for Harley's neck-bomb to be disabled."
• More interactions between Harley and Boomerang. Early cuts apparently included her really disliking him despite growing affectionate to all the other members of the squad.
• Extended bar scene with Harley taking everyone's orders. Deadshot calls for a shot, Katana wants whiskey, Croc and Boomerang settle for beer, Harley asks Diablo wants and he prefers water which she jokes, "is a good idea." The scene was featured in the trailers, but in the movie it cuts directly to Deadshot's speech about them all almost pulling the mission off.
• Removed several scenes with the Joker to repaint his relationship with Harley as more loving rather than abusive.
• Joker and Harley get into an argument after he rescues her in the hijacked helicopter. In early cuts he reportedly pushes her out to kill her, then the helicopter gets shot down. This was apparently reworked into the helicopter getting shot down first and Joker pushing her out to save her.
• Joker returns during the final battle in the subway station, face half-burnt from the helicopter crash, which apparently leads to a brief altercation with the Squad. He calls for Harley to escape with him but she refuses for once in order to help her friends, and the Joker escapes after throwing a live grenade at the group to cover his own escape."
And here's another Reddit list, titled "Differences between the Suicide Squad theatrical film and the novelisation presumably based on the original script":
• The story begins with June Moone investigating the caves. She'd being haunted by nightmares of a woman. She's travelled half way around the world to search for something that potentially may not exist. She knows the name 'Enchantress'. She is accompanied by two people, Manuel and Luis, mountain guides she has worked with for several years. She can also speak Spanish. The mountain guides refuse to go into the cave with her. It seems like June has been plagued by these dreams for a long time.
• The story then goes to Arkham Asylum where it has been a peaceful night, until masked thugs descend from helicopters into the courtyard. They kill all the guards. The thugs are looking specifically for Harleen. "Doctor Quinzel. How nice of you to join us. You're looking... good enough to eat. Figuratively speaking, of course. I'm strictly vegan. At least today". The Joker then implies that the electroshock therapy is revenge for her doing it to him, and 'scorching what few dead and faded memories I had into a sizzling knot...'. In the film Harley seems to not fear the Joker but in here she's pleading for him to let her go. But then she starts to enjoy it, asking for more pain and pleasure.
• Then we go to Deadshot who is out in town. He gives coupons to homeless men and then watches them scramble to get them. We get the scene with him preparing to shoot the guy.
• Then we get the club scene which is largely unchanged.
• A scene with Deadshot and his daughter that was in the movie, but also him arguing with his ex-wife, and then Batman.
• Then the Joker and Harley in the car. We find out why the track is called 'You can't make my teeth hurt' and the line 'Hope you've got insurance'. The Joker doesn't give a shit and laughs at the fact that he drives into Gotham river leaving Harley to die. Batman says 'Joker took something important from me. It's my turn'.
• Then Harley in Belle Reve and Deadshot, being taken by Griggs.
• The Ace Chemicals scene is extended. It's implied the Joker makes her jump off as a joke, but then changes his mind similar to the film.
If you want, you can head over to the bottom of this Collider story to read a full description of the Ace Chemicals scene.
The poor Joker never got to show us his toys. Maybe another time.
Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.