Johnny Depp is having a very bad year. Not only did he go through a contentious divorce from wife Amber Heard (who alleged he had abused her physically and verbally), the actor saw his big-budget movie "Alice Through the Looking Glass" bomb. That's why he tops Forbes' list of Hollywood's most overpaid actors for the second year in a row.
Depp's last three movies returned just $2.80 for every $1 paid. In addition to "Alice," the stinker "Mortdecai" dragged down his earnings. At least Depp can look forward to yet another "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie and being part of the "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" franchise.
Forbes' list is dominated by male actors who command eight-figure salaries, but see some of their movies go down like the Titanic at the box office. The only woman on the list is Julia Roberts in ninth place. But since women tend to be paid lower than men in almost all fields, it's not surprising that more female stars aren't on the list.
Here's the full list:
- 1. Johnny Depp, returns $2.80 for each $1 paid
- 2. Will Smith, returns $5 for each $1 paid
- 3. Channing Tatum, returns $6 for each $1 paid
- 4. Will Ferrell, returns $6.50 for each $1 paid
- 5. George Clooney, returns $6.70 for each $1 paid
- 6. Adam Sandler, returns $7.60 for each $1 paid
- 7. Mark Wahlberg, returns $9.20 for each $1 paid
- 8. Leonardo DiCaprio, returns $9.90 for each $1 paid
- 9. Julia Roberts, returns $10.80 for each $1 paid
- 10. Bradley Cooper, returns $12.10 for each $1 paid
Want more stuff like this? Like us on Facebook.